Karaoke USA
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Is It The Ultimate Responsibility Of The Host To Verify Licensing Of Material In Show? If So At What Point Does Ethics Get Trumped By Practicality?

+2
Steve Miller
The Lone Ranger
6 posters

Go down

Is It The Ultimate Responsibility Of The Host To Verify Licensing Of Material In Show? If So At What Point Does Ethics Get Trumped By Practicality? Empty Is It The Ultimate Responsibility Of The Host To Verify Licensing Of Material In Show? If So At What Point Does Ethics Get Trumped By Practicality?

Post  The Lone Ranger Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:09 am

Cool I really need to be careful here because I'm quoting a fellow host and I have to make sure I do this correctly or I will catch hell.

Sandman wrote in one of his posts "It is not actually the Host/KJ's responsibility to verify licensing. It can be an issue of ethics with some, but it seems practicality trumps that".

If it is not the host's responsibility to insure the proper status of the material used in his show, then who's is it? Does the responsibility ultimately rest with the manu who produced the product in the first place? If so does that relieve the host of any responsibility? If you take the position of Danny G 2006 who doesn't post on this forum, never any unlicensed material, it would be very difficult to run a show, since large portions of the library would be taken out. Danny position is the ethical high ground, would it be trumped by the practicality of having to run an effective show? It is an interesting situation, one that I'm sure could drive the average karaoke host over the edge. At least the one's that want to run their business to the highest possible standards.

The Lone Ranger

Back to top Go down

Is It The Ultimate Responsibility Of The Host To Verify Licensing Of Material In Show? If So At What Point Does Ethics Get Trumped By Practicality? Empty Re: Is It The Ultimate Responsibility Of The Host To Verify Licensing Of Material In Show? If So At What Point Does Ethics Get Trumped By Practicality?

Post  Steve Miller Thu Jun 14, 2012 3:46 pm

Take the question to the proper board for a response.
Steve Miller
Steve Miller
Vetted Members

Back to top Go down

Is It The Ultimate Responsibility Of The Host To Verify Licensing Of Material In Show? If So At What Point Does Ethics Get Trumped By Practicality? Empty Re: Is It The Ultimate Responsibility Of The Host To Verify Licensing Of Material In Show? If So At What Point Does Ethics Get Trumped By Practicality?

Post  smoothedge69 Thu Jun 14, 2012 5:28 pm

The Lone Ranger wrote: Cool I really need to be careful here because I'm quoting a fellow host and I have to make sure I do this correctly or I will catch hell.

Sandman wrote in one of his posts "It is not actually the Host/KJ's responsibility to verify licensing. It can be an issue of ethics with some, but it seems practicality trumps that".

If it is not the host's responsibility to insure the proper status of the material used in his show, then who's is it? Does the responsibility ultimately rest with the manu who produced the product in the first place? If so does that relieve the host of any responsibility? If you take the position of Danny G 2006 who doesn't post on this forum, never any unlicensed material, it would be very difficult to run a show, since large portions of the library would be taken out. Danny position is the ethical high ground, would it be trumped by the practicality of having to run an effective show? It is an interesting situation, one that I'm sure could drive the average karaoke host over the edge. At least the one's that want to run their business to the highest possible standards.
It depends. Do you want to limit your singers or do you want to offer as much music as you can, legally. If you buy the discs from the mfrs, it is assumed that they are licensed, at least, I would assume the music on that disc is properly licensed. If it's not, that isn't my problem. To all of you who have SC 8125, have you stopped using it because of the licensing issues with it?? I would say that is foolish. If you bought it, for your show, use it. As for the ethics of it, the mfrs certainly didn't care about ethics when they recorded their material, why should we have to worry about it as KJs. I say please your customers and your venues, and enjoy the rewards.
smoothedge69
smoothedge69

Back to top Go down

Post  The Lone Ranger Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:22 am

Steve Miller wrote:Take the question to the proper board for a response.

Where this post ended up was not selected by me Steve, I merely post the subject and send it, where it ends up is not my call. I imagine that someone else determines where to stick it. Have a nice day.

The Lone Ranger

Back to top Go down

Is It The Ultimate Responsibility Of The Host To Verify Licensing Of Material In Show? If So At What Point Does Ethics Get Trumped By Practicality? Empty I have some simple questions.

Post  Centerdriver Mon Jul 16, 2012 4:00 pm

This is my first post, but want to ask some questions. Why is this thread here? Why sould I, as a singer, worry about if the KJ is legal or not? Am I gonna get busted singing a pirated song the KJ plays? I have seen the number of post made by The Lone Ranger, so know he is not a newbie as I am. Is he just a person who can not understand that this is a "Singers" area, not a "KDJ" area.....I think I saw an area for the professional people who make money at this. Can I go to the KDJ area and talk about how I like to sing more country than pop? Hummmm Just wondering.
I initially came to this forum to learn about possibly becoming a KJ. All this talk about legalities, audits, certs.........I think I may stick to just singing.
Oh, and I have one more question. If I set up at parties, play a disc someone "burned" for me, NOT charge for putting on the show, but get tips.......am I a pirate? Just wondering.
Centerdriver
Centerdriver

Back to top Go down

Post  InsaneKJ Mon Jul 16, 2012 4:12 pm

Centerdriver wrote:I have seen the number of post made by The Lone Ranger, so know he is not a newbie as I am. Is he just a person who can not understand that this is a "Singers" area, not a "KDJ" area.....

https://karaokeusa.forumotion.com/t290-i-suggest-that-everyone-ignore-lone-ranger
InsaneKJ
InsaneKJ

Back to top Go down

Post  Centerdriver Mon Jul 16, 2012 4:29 pm

InsaneKJ wrote:
Centerdriver wrote:I have seen the number of post made by The Lone Ranger, so know he is not a newbie as I am. Is he just a person who can not understand that this is a "Singers" area, not a "KDJ" area.....

https://karaokeusa.forumotion.com/t290-i-suggest-that-everyone-ignore-lone-ranger

Got that part of an answer. How about the last question? Just wondering about it. Never did till I joined this forum.
Centerdriver
Centerdriver

Back to top Go down

Post  Steve Miller Mon Jul 16, 2012 5:06 pm

Centerdriver,

Probably be a good Idea to post your questions in the KJ section for the answers to try and keep the threads at least partially on track, Brian (lone ranger) makes it a habit to try and hijack any thread that is started to his own agenda.
Steve Miller
Steve Miller
Vetted Members

Back to top Go down

Post  Centerdriver Mon Jul 16, 2012 6:37 pm

Will do Steve.
Centerdriver
Centerdriver

Back to top Go down

Post  Leopard Lizard Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:19 pm

Well.......as it IS in the singer's section I would answer that as a singer you need not worry about being busted for singing at a pirate show. But you SHOULD worry about the decreasing availability of new songs due to piracy driving the manufacturers out of business. You should also worry about your fellow citizens who are supporting your community with their license fees and taxes while attempting to compete with those who can undercut them by operating at less cost due to using stolen goods.

If you do become a host, then right now is not the time to not want to worry about legalities. You will have to educate yourself on how to run a show legally to avoid a lawsuit from the manufacturers who are suing hosts for making copies of their intellectual property without permission.

Leopard Lizard

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down